Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Jeep Project

OK, now, there is no official name code for that project.
For some time I wanted a fixer-upper vehicle to put my hands on and learn to be a home mechanic.
We found this jeep the other day, the engine was running and it was driving somewhat so Karen gave me the OK to get it.... purchase price $600...

It is a 1989 jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Engine is the 4.0L straight 6 MPI and it runs good with 200K miles (apparently this engine is known for lasting long times with proper care and should get another 100K miles without major replacement...)
Muffler is rusty but it is mainly all there.

The Body looks straight, there is only one dent in a corner, and a couple of rust spots.... all superficials
The undercarriage is cover in grim and mud, but no rust that I can see so far....
Sound of it is awesome, you should have seen Nathan's grin when I turn it on....
Carpet and inside looks in great condition even for a 21 year old car.


For the bad parts that are obvious, it won't go in 2WD and has to go in 4L first to go back in 4H.
Brakes are spongy, it might need fixing there obviously.
needs chokes because the parking brake is gone.
has plenty of wires hanging out everywhere...
RPM meter does not work, dashboard gauges and lights ore not working, rear windshield wippers are not working, tires are low in pressure.
Blinkers not working, front right park lights/blinker not working....

So I need to roll up my sleeves and start learning..... very exciting project that will keep busy in the evenings while my wonderful wife is working on a straight A record, I will be working on my straight 6 vehicle....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is FANTASTIC!!! When Nathan called he was so excited that this Jeep had fire coming out of the tail pipe, good times ahead for you manly men!

Unknown said...

Yes for sure.... You really should have seen his face when he heard the engine running.... just that was worth the $600 ;)
We will use that as a bait to make him work on his responsabilities hehe.... as soon as it is legally driveable, i can see some driving lessons up in the fields for him....