Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Jeep Project follow up

OK the beast is in the driveway....
Changed oil, oil filter and air filter... these are easy things to do, but like I like to remind Nathan.... little steps, little victories...

Tried to flush radiator coolant..... was a little tricky. I found the valve, opened it, collected old coolant.... Somehow, somebody decided to use pliers to close the valve when asked to... not good, it is all bent and won't go all the way in... it is closed though and does not leak so far... I couldn;t find the block valve to flush the whole thing, it is under a skid plate that I have to remove, but one of the bolt is stripped and that can wait....
Note for myself: READ INSTRUCTIONS in the manual all the way before doing anything stupid

I went to the store and bought a box of fuses and changed all of them.... now the gauges are working, as well as the RPM meter. blinkers are working too as well as the dashboard lights... most of them, i still need to check some of the light bulbs might just be gone (wish it is that simple and not a more profound electrical problem).

Finaly latest victory.... I found out what is the problem with the shifting in 4WD to 2WD. Apparently the Shift linkage thingy (I know I don;t know all the big words yet right ?) is popping out of it's place causing it not to do what it is supposed to do. Well i managed to pry it back in place and shifted all right... took the jeep for a small ride around the block and it happen to shift very good and run smoothly in 2WD.... It popped again out of 2WD when I was coming back. A little search on the net says that it need a rubber thingy (nice word to use when you don;t know) to hold the link in place.... probably a $10 part ....
Anyway I cleaned evrything, and put some penetrating oil on the bolts... tonight if I have time I will see how to remove everything, clean it and put it back in place....

This week end, i will try to take it to the car wash and have an undercarriage wash that might be easier.... and put gas in it and air in tires...

No comments: