Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I finally get to use them...

Karen got me some power tools for Christmas.... Very useful when you buy a house, but other than cutting the kitchen cabinet to fit the new too big refrigerator, or drill a couple of holes here and there, nothing really funny.
So this week end, I decided to try this picnic table and use this circular saw.... After buying the wood, the hardware and a triangle (very important to get the right angles.... if you know how to use this simple tool.... should have pay more attention in geometry classes), I get started.... i should say WE.... because you know how it is, even if you want it to be YOUR project, you cannot avoid Nathan's advices on how to do it right (if you know Nathan, you know his 3 favorite answers to any problem.... Tape, glue, rope), Joseph and Celina running around the garage touching all they can, and obviously Karen who couldn't help trying to help....
So anyway after a couple of cutting, measuring, and reading instructions (yes in that order... that is why it is not perfect, but I am a man, I read the instructions if I want.... and I am a smart man.... I read the instructions and fix my mistakes after.... Smart men learn from mistakes.... Fabricando fit faber)
Stopped for the night and left a big mess in the garage.... but I only had to assemble the table top and the seat so...
Woke up early in the morning as always, and decided to finish the table (with Nathan because he was already up, and Joseph too, oh and Celina... these kids never sleep) before Karen wake up so that we could enjoy a coffee outside, admiring our backyard....
We managed to screw everything in place, trying to make it as nice as possible, then we moved the HEAVY picnic table in the backyard just in time because Karen was waking up and she was coming with the coffee already.
We didn't get to enjoy it too long that morning as we had to get ready to go join our friends Jeff and Tricia for a picnic at lava hot springs (perfect 108degres natural spring to relax for the day)....
But we sure had some grilled ribs and chicken legs with pasta salad for dinner in the evening.... it was nice.... Spring is coming, we know it, even if a jacket is still welcome, as it gets cold when the sun is going to sleep....

Our next project ? not sure yet, but I am thinking about it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so love this blog! Great job on the table Steph! Looks like you did a good job on the grill too. Hope you let the garden spade heat up on the grill a bit before using, hehe, well GOD made dirt, a little won't hurt!

Jas said...

Love the picnic table you built. Job well done. It looks like the ones sold at Home Depot. Wish my husband get good use of his power tools :p